Sunday, January 20, 2008

KOS RESTAURANT (61 Bellevue Ave.)

THE DYNAMIC DUO: Chris & Rocio

RATINGS:
FOOD: 2+
PRICE: 2+
SERVICE: 4+
AMBIANCE: 3


ALL-DAY BREAKFAST: YES
COFFEE/ESPRESSO BAR: NO
COFFEE INCLUDED: NO
FREE REFILLS: YES
LICENSED: YES
HP SAUCE: YES
PATIO: YES
BOOTHS: YES
OPEN-KITCHEN: NO

Today is sunday. I'm 95% positive I woke up in The Twilight Zone. I was wide awake at 9:30. I was not hungover as per usual. I did not have morning wood. I was in the mood to clean the house and I'm now watching The Nanny Diaries, which I didn't even attempt to contest. Fucked eh; breakfast was probably the only routine thing to come of my day. On that note, Rocio and I hit up a decent (however strikingly conformist) little spot called Kos Restaurant; located bang on the corner of Bellevue and Nassau (formerly the Bellevue Diner) in the heart of Kensington Market. But anyways...I'm starting to catch some dirty looks for typing during The Nanny Diaries (god forbid). I'm gonna go now...

EGGSPRESS:
3 eggs
bacon, real ham or hot italian sausage
toast
hash browns
$6.95+tx.


THE FOOD: Not the best breakfast in the market, but definitely not the worst. Proving that presentation isn't everything, the only stand-out items on my plate were the hash browns with their surroundings coming across as (and tasting) fairly orthodox. Fruit is always a nice touch, however, Rocio mowed down my pineapple and didn't seem particularly impressed.
Rocio: "That pineapple tasted like garbage...from the dumpster!"

THE PRICE: At $6.95 before tax and with coffee running extra, Kos is not a place for the penny-pincher. It's far from over-priced, but after the tip, you'd be hard pressed to keep it under a sawbuck.

THE SERVICE: Fecking impeccable. Our server was one of the best I've had in a while. Before I was seated, my drink order was taken and the courtesy kept coming until we walked out the door. A fucking +.

THE AMBIANCE: Kos lacks character in comparison to its variety of immediate neighbors and is far from the second-hand chic I was expecting when Rocio suggested a Kensington Market breakfast. Divided into two sections, you've got the choice of either a more dimly lit, crimson coloured bar side (where I would have rather been seated and which my have upped the ambiance rating a + or two) or a brighter, more naturally lit pastel yellow diner side (in which we sat). Kos, however comfy, rubs me as just another one of the herd, so don't go in expecting the Kensington vibe just because of the location.

Not to be mistaken with K-os, Toronto's pretentiously melodramatic emcee, Kos Restaurant is much more humble (which doesn't take much). Formerly of College & Bathurst, Kos is a place I'd return to if only for the service. If you're in the area, however, and aren't much for the generic new breed of restaurant renovations, there are many more squality (yes, I made up a word and yes it's a combination of squalid and quality) joints to more suitably satisfy your Kensington experience. Pop your head in the door; If it's not your bag, you're nothing but a hop skip and a jump from Last Temptation or one of the markets many other comfortably scuzzy breakfast alternatives.

No comments: